SEGUIN, Texas -- After dropping the first set, fifth-seeded Austin College bounced back to take three straight, upsetting third-seeded Southwestern University Sunday morning in the third-place match of the 2019 SCAC Volleyball Championship. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southwestern took a tightly contested first set, 25-23. Leading 13-11, Southwestern went on a 8-1 run to take a 21-12 lead only to see Austin College go on an 8-0 run of its own to cut the SU lead to 21-20 before the Pirates eventually put the set away.
- The second set was another back-and-forth affair but after taking the lead at 17-16, Austin College kept Southwestern at arm's length and never trailed for the remainder of the frame, taking the set 25-22.
- Southwestern took an early 10-5 lead in the crucial third set, but Austin College scored five straight to knot the match at 10. In a set that featured six ties and three lead changes, the 'Roos pulled out the 26-24 win, taking the final two points after allowing the Pirates to even the match at 24.
- Austin College jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the fourth before Southwestern fought back to within one at 9-8. From that point, no team had a lead of more than three points and the set featured 10 ties and two lead changes. Once again, however, it was Austin that got the big points down the stretch, taking the 25-23 victory. The 'Roos saved their best hitting for last, posting a .268 attack percentage in the fourth set.
AUSTIN COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Christine Royalty: 14 kills, 1 service ace, 4 digs, .417 hitting percentage
- Shelbi Cook: 10 kills, 3 digs
- Brooklyn Talley: 11 digs, 15 assists
- Allison Pierce: 11 digs, 14 assists
- Hannah Arbaugh: 17 digs, 5 service aces, 7 kills
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Elleanna McGown: 11 kills, 3 service aces, 15 digs, 4 block assists
- Emma White: 17 kills, 11 digs
- Lauren Crabtree: 8 kills, 27 assists, 16 digs
- Jess Mayer: 7 digs, 20 assists, 5 service aces
- This year's third place match was just the fourth time these two long-time conference members had met in postseason play. Austin College's victory evens their tournament series mark at 2-2.
- Austin College had not defeated Southwestern in regular season or conference tournament play since Nov. 3, 2007 - snapping a streak of 22 consecutive losses to the Pirates.
- The third place tournametn finish is the best for Austin College since the 'Roos lost to Trinity in the 2007 title match.
- Conversely, Southwestern's fourth-place finish is its lowest since taking fifth place at the 2010 championship.
Austin College finishes the season with a 18-22 overall mark while Southwestern (22-15) will await word of a possible NCAA Tournament at-large berth.