SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- The third-seeded Trinity Tigers, playing in the SCAC Men’s Soccer Tournament quarterfinals for the first time in program history, defeated the sixth-seeded University of Dallas Crusaders, 1-0, Friday afternoon in the second quarterfinal matchup of the day. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview | Tournament Stats | Quarterfinal Photo Album
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite a scoreless opening half, Trinity outshot Dallas, 9-2, and held a 6-0 edge in corner kicks in the opening 45 minutes of play.
- The Tigers finally broke through in the 77th minute when sophomore Philip Duenez scored his sixth goal of the season off a cross from junior Wesley Mitchell.
- Trinity outshot Dallas 25-8, including a 10-4 edge in shots on goal.
- The Tigers also held an advantage on corner kick, 13-2, over the Crusaders.
- Trinity sophomore Juan Carlos Vidales posted a career-high four saves en route to securing his first career shutout as a Tiger .
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Philip Duenez: 1 goal, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Wesley Mitchell: 1 assist, 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
- Andrea Codispoti: 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
- Ethan Moore: 4 shots
- Juan Carlos Vidales: 4 saves, 0 goals allowed
UNIVERSITY OF DALLAS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Chima Ogueri: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
- Tomas DePetris: 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
- Hunter Haugland: 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
- Sean Carlin: 8 saves, 1 goal allowed
- The victory advances the Trinity University men to the SCAC semifinals for the 11th consecutive conference tournament.
- Trinity is currently riding a 15-game unbeaten streak in SCAC Tournament action with its last loss coming back in 2011 when the Tigers lost to Centre in overtime.
- Trinity improves to 15-2-2 all-time in SCAC Tournament history.
- Dallas ends its season with a 5-11-1 overall mark and falls to 1-6-1 all-time in SCAC Tournament history with its lone win coming back in 2017 .
By defeating Dallas, Trinity (11-5-2) will face second-seeded Texas Lutheran in tomorrow’s second semifinal a 1:30 p.m. CT. The Tigers have already knocked off the Bulldogs twice this season, most recently, 1-0, back on October 20th in Seguin. This will be the second consecutive year Trinity and TLU have squared-off in the SCAC Tournament and fourth time overall with the Tigers winning the previous three matches including last years 2-1 overtime affair.