SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- The fifth-seeded Austin College ‘Roos defeated the fourth-seeded Southwestern University Pirates, 1-0, in the opening quarterfinal match of the 2019 SCAC Men’s Soccer Championship. It was the third time in the last four years these two teams have matched up at the SCAC Tournament, with Austin College now holding the edge, 2-1, in that span. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview | Tournament Stats | Quarterfinal Photo Album
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Austin College controlled possession in the opening half, holding a 6-3 edge in shots, before finally breaking through in the 43rd minute off an unassisted goal from senior Isaiah Wingeier-Rayo.
- Wingeier-Rayo snuck a shot past Pirates keeper Jack Viles for his first goal of the season, following a scrum off a corner kick.
- Trailing at the half, Southwestern pressed in the second, outshooting the ‘Roos, 8-4, but where unable to find the equalizer as Austin College senior Juan Rodriguez corralled four saves to post his third clean sheet in the last four games.
- Southwestern finished the match with an edge in shots, 11-10, while both teams attempted nine corner kicks.
AUSTIN COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Isaiah Wingeier-Rayo: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
- Logan Newman: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Ahmet Ramovic: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Juan Rodriguez: 4 saves, 0 goals allowed
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Ashton Bynum: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Seth Holzmann: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Jack Viles: 2 saves, 1 goal allowed
- The victory advances the Austin College men to the SCAC semifinals for the third time in the last four years and the fourth time in program history.
- Austin College is currently riding a four-game win streak, the longest since the ‘Roos strung five wins together in the 2006 season.
- Austin College improves to 3-4-1 all-time in SCAC Tournament history.
- Southwestern ends its season with a 10-7-2 overall mark and falls to 7-8-2 all-time in SCAC Tournament history.
By defeating Southwestern, Austin College (7-10-1) will face top-seeded Colorado College in tomorrow’s first semifinal at 11 a.m. CT. The Tigers topped the ‘Roos in the lone regular season meeting between the two squads, 1-0, back on October 18th in Sherman, Texas. This will be just the second meeting between the two programs in SCAC Tournament history with Colorado College earning a 2-0 victory in the quarterfinals of the 2013 Tournament.