SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- The Trinity men's tennis team garnered its eighth consecutive Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championship with a 5-1 victory over Southwestern University on Sunday. Official Website l Bracket | Postmatch Interview
TRINITY 5, SOUTHWESTERN 1
April 30, 2017 at San Antonio, TX (Trinity University)
|1. Chas Mayer (TUM) def. Nickoloz Snovely (SU) 6-2, 6-4|
|2. Wilson Lambeth (TUM) def. Alexis Dimanche (SU) 6-4, 6-3|
|3. Jordan Pitts (TUM) def. Grant Gideon (SU) 6-4, 6-4|
|4. Liam Crawley (TUM) vs. Dean Dulthummon (SU) unfinished|
|5. Clayton Niess (TUM) vs. Haluki Nakayama (SU) unfinished|
|6. McKenna Fujitani (TUM) vs. Neik Khansari (SU) unfinished|
|1. Matt Tyer/Wilson Lambeth (TUM) def. Nickoloz Snovely/Grant Gideon (SU) 9-8|
|2. Chas Mayer/Clayton Niess (TUM) def. Alexis Dimanche/Austin Moninger (SU) 8-4|
|3. Dean Dulthummon/Will Ellis (SU) def. Jordan Pitts/Liam Crawley (TUM) 8-5|
|SCAC Championship Match|
With the victory Trinity also secured an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Championship.
The doubles matches turned out to be a battle, with Trinity taking two of the three tandem matchups. Trinity and Southwestern split Nos. 2 and 3 doubles. Chas Mayer and Clayton Niess won the second line, while Jordan Pitts and Liam Crawley came up short on the third and fell to Dean Dulthummon and Will Ellis.
The Tigers' Matt Tyer and Wilson Lambeth then fought their way to a #1 doubles victory, by the tight score of 9-8.
Singles turned out to be a different matter, as the Tigers won the top three solo matches.
Mayer won the first line, Lambeth took the second, and Pitts clinched the match with a decision at #3 singles.
- Trinity won its fifth straight match, and improved to 16-10. Southwestern completed its season with an 18-7 record.
- Head Coach Russell McMindes has guided his Tigers to the top position in each year of his tenure.
- Sunday's win marked the 22nd overall SCAC men's tennis crown for Trinity. No other program in league history has as many SCAC championships as the Trinity men's tennis program.
- The Tigers and Pirates met for the third straight year in the SCAC final.
- Matt Tyer and Wilson Lambeth upped their doubles record to 14-10, and Chas Mayer and Clayton Niess improved to 17-4.
- Jordan Pitts is sporting a 16-8 singles record after his dual-match clincher.