SEGUIN, Texas -- Southwestern University will play for the conference championship for the first time 2004 after defeating Texas Lutheran University, 16-2, in an elimination game Sunday afternoon at Katt-Isbel Field. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview w/ Will Cates & Coach R.J. Thomas
Will Cates hit home runs on the first two pitches he saw as Southwestern jumped on Texas Lutheran early and often - pounding out 18 hits and scoring runs in every inning except one (fifth).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southwestern scored three runs in the first inning and never trailed.
- Southwestern's Jacob Kendra went the distance, allowing two earned runs on eight hits in 7.0 innings. It was the junior's second win of the season.
- Texas Lutheran left 10 runners on base compared to eight for Southwestern.
- Cates and Ethan Luna both had nine total bases in the game.
- Texas Lutheran used five different pitchers in the game, with no one going more than 2.0 innings.
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Ethan Luna: 4-5, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 4 RBI, 3 runs, 1 BB
- Will Cates: 3-4, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 4 runs
- Tyler Bludau: 2-3, 2 RBI, 2 runs, 1 BB
- Colten Shea: 2-5, 1 RBI, 2 runs
- Jacob Kendra: 7.0 innings, 8 hits, 2 R, 2 K, 3 BB
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Riley Schaefer: 2-4, 1 run
- Eric Rabinowitz: 1-3, 1 RBI
- Keaton Bohrmann: 0-4, 1 RBI
- Southwestern will play for the SCAC title for the first time since 2004.
- This will be the seventh time Southwestern and Trinity have played for the SCAC baseball championship - including a four-year stretch where the two played every year (1997-2000). In the previous six times the two have met, Southwestern walked away as champions four times.
- Trinity and Southwestern lead all active schools in SCAC baseball championships. Trinity has 11 (tops among all schools) and Southwestern has five (sixth among all schools).
The Pirates (18-24) advance to the championship round where they will play Trinity (34-7). That game is scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. Southwestern needs to win the first game to force a second and deciding game (which would be played on Monday).