SEGUIN, Texas -- Freshman right-hander Nathan Malinovsky scattered five hits and allowed just one unearned run as top seeded Texas Lutheran advanced with a 3-1 victory over Southwestern University in the first game of the 2016 SCAC Baseball Tournament. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview w/ Nathan Malinovsky & Coach Greg Burnett
Will Preston took the hard-luck loss for Southwestern, also going the distance and allowing three runs (two earned) in eight innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a 30-minute rain delay, Texas Lutheran jumped on board with an unearned run in the bottom of the first.
- TLU pushed across another run - the eventual game-winner - in the bottom of the fifth on a Justin Law double.
- Texas Lutheran out-hit Southwestern 8-5 but did commit one more error (2-1).
- Both pitchers went the distance - the first time two pitchers have tossed complete games in a SCAC tournament game since 4/26/12 (Trinity vs. Millsaps).
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Nathan Malinovsky: 9.0 IP, 5 hits, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 K, 4 BB
- Justin Law: 2-3, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Rayce Gatlin: 2-3, 1 2B, 2 runs
- Colby Schrade: 1-3, 1 2B
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Will Preston: 8.0 IP, 8 hits, 3 R, 2 ER, 6 K, 3 BB
- Thomas O'Brien: 1-1, 1 RBI
- Ethan Widoff: 1-2, 1 BB
- Since moving to the "top seed host model" in 2014, the host school is 3-0 in its first tournament game.
- Texas Lutheran is now 3-4 lifetime in SCAC tournament games.
- Southwestern has lost its last five SCAC tournament openers.
- Malinovsky improved to 9-1 with the victory and is tied for the league lead in that category with Centenary's Kaleb Kirk.
The Bulldogs (26-13) will move on to face the winner of the Trinity/Centenary game at Noon on Saturday. Meanwhile, the Pirates will move into an elimination game against the loser of the Trinity/Centenary game at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow.